Homeowners wishing to pipe the ditch adjacent to their property must obtain beforehand the required permit from the Infrastructure Department and comply with the requirements of by-law no. 758.To submit a request at no cost for the opening of a file:
The homeowner must:
- print the form available on-line (click here to download it) or pick up a paper copy at the Infrastructure Department;
- complete the section entitled “Request for on-site pre-inspection”;
- bring the form to the Infrastructure Department during business hours;
- fill out the form in the presence of an official of Infrastructure Department.
Processing the request:
To be processed, requests must be submitted to the Town between March 15 and October 1 of each year.
Before issuing a permit, an official of the Infrastructure Department:
- must do an on-site pre-inspection along with a survey to determine if the ditch meets minimum requirements for the installation of a pipe ; if it does, the Town
- prepares the plan and the technical requirements specifications;
¹ The official carries out the on-site pre-inspection within thirty (30) days of the receipt of the request.
If the ditch meets minimum requirements:
The homeowner must:
- come to the Infrastructure Department during opening hours;
- obtain a permit and pay the $120 fee ²;
- leave a $500 deposit (reimbursable)²;
² Payment may be made in cash or by certified cheque or debit card. The amount must be paid in full.
Follow-up and compliance
Prior to backfilling, the Town official will carry out an inspection to ensure that the work done and the materials used are in compliance (pipes, fittings, etc.).
After backfilling is completed, the Town official will do another inspection to ensure that all technical requirements indicated on the plan have been met.
If the work is non compliant and if the non-compliance is not corrected after the 3rd inspection, the Town reserves the right to do all the necessary work. In this case, the $500 deposit will not be reimbursed.