Since your personal safety is your responsibility, here are some tips to follow during the holidays:
- Install your natural or artificial tree away from a heat source (electric baseboard, heater, fireplace, etc.).
- Place the natural fir in a container filled with water and water the tree’s foot every day.
- Choose an artificial tree over a natural tree to reduce the risk of fire.
- After the holidays, take advantage of the natural tree collection to dispose of it ecologically.
- Select CSA or ULC approved lights. Check that they are in good condition and installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Turn them off at night or before you leave your home.
- Always keep an eye on lit candles.
- Place your candles on a stable surface away from flammable materials.
- Keep them out of reach of children and animals.
- Extinguish all candles before leaving a room or home.
- Use LED candles for safe use.
- Avoid distractions when cooking food (smoking, talking on the phone, social media, etc.).
- Do not store objects in the oven or on the cooking surface.
- Keep children away from the stove.
- Be sure to turn off cooking appliances before leaving the room or home.
Smoke alarms and batteries
- It is important to have a good smoke alarm per floor.
- Be sure to pack extra batteries so that you never have to take the batteries from your alarms to put in battery-powered devices or toys.
- Choose a smoke alarm with a 10-year lithium battery to ensure you are safe for the long term.
Portable electric heaters
- Plug the device directly into the outlet.
- Always use a CSA or ULC approved device.
- Turn it off at night or before you leave your home.
- Keep any flammable material within one metre of the device.
- Use CSA or ULC approved extension cords.
- Do not overload the electrical circuit. Use a power bar instead.
- Replace any damaged or heat-emitting cords.
Exits and access routes
- Remove snow from exits, balconies, decks and windows after each snowfall.
- Ensure access routes to these exits are clear.
- Cool hot ashes outside in a metal container with a metal lid.
- Keep the ash container at a minimum of one metre from any combustible material
- Wait at least seven days before transferring them to the waste bin.
- Place the burner on a stable surface that supports heat.
- Never fill it when it is hot. Use a second burner instead.
- Use an electric fondue stove.